Economic development and ecological challenges, including climate change and the depletion of natural resources, go hand in hand.
As economies develop through industrialisation, the quality of natural resources such as water and air tend to deteriorate as companies pursue growth.
The adverse relationship between economic growth and ecological deterioration is cause for great concern and dictates that companies should do everything it takes to ensure that they not only use the earth’s natural resources in their pursuit of profits, but also that they continuously rehabilitate and restore the environment to its natural form in order to preserve it for generations that will come after us.
Therefore, it is critically important for business to take the initiative of employing necessary technological innovations geared towards ensuring that their operations do not cause damage to the natural environment.
This Award celebrates a company which has taken seriously the ecological challenges that confront the world and has successfully implemented the necessary steps to ensure that the natural environment is preserved.
The winner of the 2018 Environment Stewards Award recognises a company that has gone out of its way to invest in the environment and has successfully implemented greening initiatives in its day-to-day business operations which include, amongst other:
- complying with and going beyond the requirements of the National Environmental Management Act, the Air Quality Act, Air Quality Standards Regulations, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001; and
- capital investment in excess of R10 million focusing on:
- water continuity, harvesting and recycling;
- air quality and conservation;
- electricity and energy savings;
- oil disposal and recycling;
- greenhouse gas emissions; and
- foundry waste sand and melting fumes discharge.
Ladies and gentleman, the richly-deserving Winner of the 2018 Environmental Stewardship Award of the Year is Weir Minerals Africa.
SEIFSA acclaims this achievement and heartily congratulates the company.